Sunday, 15 March 2015

Week 8: Report and Reflection

Happy Sunday bloggers!
 
 
This week we were introduced to "Wiki" or Wikipedia as most of you call it. Wiki is a tool that allows for everyone to insert their input on various topics on the web. From most of the classes I've taken at Brock, the professors usually do not allow articles or information from Wikipedia to be used as a scholarly source. This is because anyone can edit the information at anytime, which does not make it reliable. For example, I can go to the Toronto Raptors' Wiki page and edit it to say that they are a soccer team even though they are a basketball team. Once I click save, the information will be saved even though it is incorrect. Therefore Wikipedia in my opinion can't really be trusted. Now Wikipedia also has another function that is VERY similar to Google Docs. It basically allows you to create a shared document for others to contribute to. When comparing the two, I found that I really prefer to use Google Docs. Google Docs provides a better platform and is a lot easier to use in my opinion than Wiki. Also, Google Docs allows for me to choose who I want to be able to edit and share my document, while Wiki leaves it open for the entire world. Although they are used for different reasons (Wiki more for research and Google Docs more for personal use) I would still prefer to use Google Docs when planning projects or ideas with group mates, colleagues, and friends. I do not really recommend Wiki to anyone.
 
Also In this week learning activities, we were challenged to search through different wiki resources to identify different digital citizen’s right and responsibilities. During the process, I once again realised that Wiki isn't a very reliable source for information, and should not be trust. But nonetheless, I think the three most important rights and responsibilities digital citizens need to understand are: 
 
1) Understanding digital ethics and etiquette
2) Taking the initiative to report and prevent unacceptable behaviour
3) Understanding the great responsibility you possess that comes with the privilege of being a digital citizen

 Yousif, Z. (CC) 2015

Finally, I wanted to share with you all another interesting article from my feedly. This article is called Why Richard Branson Thinks Failure Should Be An Option For All Entrepreneurs  by Forbes magazine. The reason why I really enjoyed this article is because, many entrepreneurs feel that nothing can come out of failure. But this article and Richard Branson does a great job of explaining that failure for start ups is extremely reasonable, and that it should be approached as a learning experience. If you've got the entrepreneurial spirit, then give it a read!
 
Until next time,
 
 
Zaed Yousif

1 comment:

  1. Hello Zaed,

    I have to say, I completely agree with you, I prefer Google Docs more than Wiki. I was reading that Wiki can let you make it private as well. Would that make you change your opinion on Wikis?

    Great article, thanks for sharing! I really liked your photo, it makes it easy to read.


    Regards,
    Claudia Arzate

    ReplyDelete