I have really learned a lot from the week 1 reading, which was about the advantages and disadvantages of a digital footprint. Through my readings, it doesnt seem as easy as it looks to generate a great digital footprint. Although it may not seem like a big deal, digital footprints follow you for the rest of your life, and they can really open and close many doors for you as we begin to pursue or careers. The generaliztions about the internet can really hurt individuals in their everyday lives. People seem to believe that once something is deleted off of the internet, it is gone forever. However, this is not the case (Ribble 2011). Ribble sets out many “Nettiquette” standards for us to use as protocols when we are olnline. In order to have a good Netiquette, we must know how to use our technology appropriately and not take advantage or abuse it. Poor Netiquette inevitably leads you to have a negative digital footprint, which is what will be the cause of all the “closed doors” that I have mentioned earlier. There have been many cases where great candidates have been rejected when applying to jobs, this has been because the employers have found and/or seen their negative digital footprints.
One other thing that stood out to me was the teacher student blogs (Shareski 2008). I feel as though this is an extremely useful tool since it becomes that much easier to build relationships with not only your classmates, but also your instructor. You begin to build a relationship more than just the academics or the contents of a course. You become open to sharing personal ideas and thoughts, which is what creates great friendships. I really appreciate the opportunity I have with this course to be able to read and learn about my classmates’ thoughts, feelings, and opinions on our course content.
I took the Digital Driver’s License exam from the textbook, I scored 16/20. After reflecting on what I had read and been “tested” on, I’ve realized that I really need to work on the “Digital Access” sector of digital citizenship. From here on out, I’ll do my best to participate full within the electronic world and connect and interact with not only my classmates, but even other people online. By doing so, I will be able to learn the real value behind digital access. I look forward to pursuing this challenge, and I’ll make sure to keep you all updated!
Thanks for reading!
-ZY


No comments:
Post a Comment